Less than an hour’s drive from Athens, Cape Sounio is the ideal weekend getaway or perfect day trip from the Greek capital. There are plenty of things to see and do at this beautiful spot and we reveal what not to miss when visiting!
1. Explore the 444BC Temple of Poseidon, honouring the Olympian God of the Sea. It is located at the edge of Cape Sounio at the southern coast of Attica, with breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea. If you can only be here for a few hours make sure it’s during sunset from the temple’s ruins, which is by far one of the best sights in all of Greece.
2. With its crystal clear and calm waters, the beaches surrounding this area are ideal for people of all ages who can take in the blue sea and its surrounding beauty. For a swim that offers amazing views of the Temple, head to Sounio Beach or the Aegean Hotel, which are organised and offer umbrellas. Legrena is also one of the largest and most popular beaches in the area.
3. KAPE deserves a mention of its own. With a beach bar right on the water, you can order a Freddo/Frappe, cocktail or a light lunch. It’s a relaxing place to sit and watch the sun and the sea while tanning away or dipping into the crystal clear water.
4. Have a pampering day at Elixir Spa Retreat. The spa offers a range of natural therapies based on Greek herbs and flowers. After a pampering therapy, you can enjoy the nearby gardens whilst sipping on a freshly-prepared tisane from the resort’s organic garden, or enjoy the Greek sun along with your favourite book by the pool.
5. If you are after some action head to Lavrio where you can rent boats or equipment and go scuba diving or sail into the Mediterranean Sea.
6. For some great Asian check out So Oriental, one of the most unique Asian restaurants near Athens. Here you can relax on one of the outdoor swing-beds which doubles as your dining table.
8. For an unforgettable fine dining experience, The Restaurant, located on the rooftop terrace at the Grecotel, is a gourmet eatery that boasts a Greek-French menu designed by acclaimed chef Sakis Tzannetos.
9. Chill out at the stylish Panorama Lounge Bar overlooking the Temple at Sounio and take in the splendid atmosphere while you relax on the peaceful terraces beside the water and fire fountains.
10. Book a scenic sunset sailing tour, where you can truly enjoy the magnificent Athenian coastline, as you swim in crystal blue waters and secluded bays far from the crowds. In the early evening you can enjoy the magical sunset; and for those who really want to indulge, book a private chef who prepares your lunch and dinner on board.
11. Stroll along Lavrion, which is on the tip of Attiki and famous for its lovely marina. The Ancient Theater of Lavrion is a fantastic historical landmark situated very close to the shores of the marina and will surprise you with its unique architecture.
12. Last but not least, make sure you snap away as Sounio really is one of the most iconic sights in mainland Greece and a must for photographers. Have your camera ready as there will be plenty of great shots that are more than just Insta-worthy!
Take the bus (KTEL) from Athens, or travel by car along the coast of Athens and Attica, as you pass by Athens’ Riviera and its glamorous neighbourhoods including Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza and Lagonisi.
Cover Image Pinterest