Tiganopsomo is a homemade fried Greek pita bread, which only requires a few ingredients and is so simple to make. If you are after a savoury snack you can crumble Feta and oregano onto the bread, or for a sweet version drizzle some honey and cinnamon on top!
This recipe makes 10 pieces.
- 500 x grams plain flour
- 1 x teaspoon salt
- 7 x grams yeast
- 2 x cups lukewarm water
- olive oil for frying
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- Using your hands, place a hole in the middle of flour and add salt, yeast and water.
- Knead the dough with your hands, until it becomes smooth and doesn’t stick.
- Cover with cling wrap and allow to rest for about 35 minutes.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces
- Using a small rolling pin, roll each piece into a circle (pita size).
- Heat frying pan and add olive oil to cover base.
- Add one pita into pan and fry on medium heat till golden brown. Using two forks or tongs, turn over and fry other side.
- Place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat process for all pita breads.
- Add topping of your choice.
Recipe & Image by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)