Our delicious vegan spinach pockets consist of a crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside homemade dough, packed with a fresh lemon spinach filling!
For the dough
5 x grams dry yeast
1 & 1/2 cups warm water
2 x cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
1 x teaspoon salt
1 x tablespoon white vinegar
2 x tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and greasing
For the filling
3 x cups chopped fresh spinach
1 & 1/2 cups x chopped shallots
1/2 x cup chopped parsley
1/4 x cup chopped dill
1/2 x cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 x teaspoon salt
1/4 x cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl combine yeast and warm water. Stir until well combined. Add flour, oil, and salt and mix well.
- Begin to knead the dough by hand. If the dough is too wet, add more flour. Continue kneading until your dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl lightly greased with olive oil. Turn to coat all sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size, roughly about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Combine, spinach, shallots, parsley, dill, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add lemon juice and olive oil and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once risen, punch the dough down to release the air. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using a knife, slice the dough in half, then slice each half into quarters. (You’ll have about 12 pieces of dough.)
- Flatten each piece using a rolling pin, about 15 cm. Transfer flattened dough to baking sheets.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of filling in the middle of each piece of dough. Fold over top and close the pockets. Brush the tops of each pocket with olive oil.
- Bake pockets until tops are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan until ready to serve.
*Recipe and Images by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)