Hilopites (Greek egg pasta) with chicken is a delicious rustic dish, which originated in the Peloponnese region and is traditionally served with Mizithra (hard goat’s cheese).
1 x large free-range chicken
5 x ripe tomatoes, blended into sauce
1 x tablespoon tomato paste
1 x Spanish onion, chopped
2 x cups Hilopites (egg noodles)
1/4 x cup olive oil
1 x cinnamon stick
2 x cups water
3 x cups boiling water
salt and pepper to taste
Mizithra cheese, to garnish (optional)
– Wash and cut chicken into serving pieces. You should have 2 x breast pieces, two x thigh pieces, 2 x wings pieces, 2 x leg pieces. Remove skin and discard.
– Add olive oil to large pot and allow to heat up. Reduce to medium heat and add chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes and place all chicken pieces into pot. Saute chicken for a few minutes on each side, or until chicken becomes whitened.
– Add tomato paste and stir. Add blended tomatoes, cinnamon stick and 2 x cups water.
– Add salt and pepper and stir. Cover with lid and allow to cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
– Remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside.
– Add 3 x cups of boiling water to pot with sauce and place egg noodles to cook for about 15 minutes or until soft.
– Transfer to serving plates and garnish with grated Mizithra.
*Recipe & Images by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)