This traditional Greek meatball soup finished off in a creamy egg lemon sauce is one of Greece’s most popular dishes in the cooler months. With a few key ingredients and very simple steps, you can create a beautiful meal for the entire family.
- 500 x grams lean minced beef
- 1 x cup medium grain rice
- 1/4 cup x parsley, chopped
- 1 x onion, chopped
- 1 x clove garlic, chopped
- 2 x lemons, juiced
- 2 x eggs
- 1/4 x cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place mince, chopped onion, rice, garlic and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Knead the mixture with your hands, until smooth in texture.
- Allow to rest in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the meatballs gently, one by one, using a spoon.
- Lower heat to medium and allow to simmer for 50 minutes.
- To make the lemon sauce, crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Add lemon juice and whisk well.
- Add 2 x ladles of juice from the soup into bowl and whisk thoroughly and quickly.
- Stir the egg lemon sauce into soup and cook for another couple of minutes on low heat.
Recipe and Image by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)