Okra (Bamies Kokkinistes) are packed with nutrients and vitamins, including protein, zinc, potassium, magnesium, folate and calcium.
There are many ways to cook okra and lots of recipes use a baking method, however our recipe is stewed okra with fresh tomatoes and onion- it’s flavoursome, simple and quick to make!
This is our popular recipe which we first shared on our former food blog Flavours & Flair.
– 500 x grams okra
– 1 x white onion, chopped
– 3 x ripe tomatoes, grated
– 1/2 x cup white vinegar
– 1/4 x cup olive oil
-1/4 x cup water
– salt and pepper to taste
– Wash the okra and trim pointy ends off.
– Place okra in bowl and cover with cold water. Add vinegar and allow to soak for 2 minutes.
– Drain, pat dry and set okra aside.
– Add olive oil in pan and allow to heat.
– Add chopped onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Take sautéed onion out of pan and place in a dish.
– Add okra to pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
– Add onions back in with grated tomato.
– Add water and season with salt and pepper. Stir and allow to cook on low to medium heat for around 30 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
*Recipe & Image by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)