Fava is a simple and delicious puree that can be served as a starter, mezze or as a side. You are guaranteed to find this dish in restaurants throughout Greece and mainly in Santorini, as it is one of the most special and traditional delicacies of the island.
- 500 x grams yellow split peas
- 2 x Spanish onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil, extra for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x lemon, juiced
- 1 x litre water
- Rinse split peas thoroughly with water.
- Place split peas in saucepan and pour in water and olive oil.
- Allow it to come to a boil and remove any froth that forms at the top of saucepan.
- Cook with lid on for about 20 minutes, then add one chopped onion, salt and pepper and allow to cook for another 25 minutes or until split peas are thick in texture.
- Puree peas with a hand blender or place in food processor and mix until it becomes a smooth and creamy puree.
- Place in serving dish, garnish with remaining chopped onion and drizzle lightly with olive oil and lemon juice.
*Recipe and Image by IN+SIGHTS GREECE © (Copyright)