Ravani is a classic and delightful semolina cake soaked in a light lemon syrup.
There are so many variations of this dessert, with many adding rose water to their syrup while others use orange instead of lemon. Today we share our family favourite recipe that has been passed down over three generations.
- 6 x eggs
- 1 x cup caster sugar
- 1 x cup fine semolina
- 1 x cup self raising flour
- 1 x tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 4 x tablespoons full cream milk
- 1 x tablespoon baking powder
- 1 x lemon grind and juice
- 1/4 cup pistachios (optional)
For the syrup
- 3 x cups sugar
- 2 x cups water
- 1 x lemon for grind and juice
- 1 x tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease a 28cm round or square tin and line with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until they become light and fluffy.
- Add milk, lemon grind, vanilla sugar and mix for a few more minutes. Slowly add flour, lemon juice, semolina and baking powder and beat for another few minutes.
- Place in baking tin and and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, for the syrup add sugar, water, lemon juice, lemon grind and honey in a medium saucepan and simmer for 6 minutes.
- When cake is ready, pour syrup over entire cake.
- Garnish with pistachios (optional).